07/24/11 Categories: Article
Health Tip: Save Your Back at Work
Suggestions to minimize back pain from DailyHealthNews
After a long day at work, your back may be chock full of aches and pains from standing on your feet or sitting at a desk.
The University of Maryland Medical Center offers these suggestions to help alleviate back pain while you're at work:
- Pay attention to your posture, whether you're standing or sitting. Make sure your ears, shoulders and hips all line up.
- Avoid standing for long periods. If you must stand, use a stool and alternate resting each foot on it.
- Wear comfortable, cushioned shoes without heels if you walk a lot.
- Choose a straight-backed, adjustable chair with armrests and a swivel seat for your desk chair.
- Prop your feet up below your desk, so your knees are elevated above your hips.
- Roll up a towel or place a pillow at your lower back while sitting at your desk.