Ask Henry

Tax Appeals

Dear H2,

What type of license is needed to do County Assessor work? If we appraisers wanted to help homeowners reduce their property tax burden, by being consultants for them, do we need a license? E & O Insurance? What would be expected of us?

Timothy O'Brien

Dear Timothy,

The kind of license that is needed to do assessor work depends upon the state in which you are located. You should check with your Real Estate Appraisal Commission or an attorney who can look up the law for you. The same is true for what license is needed to do tax consulting work and if E & O insurance will be required. What would be expected of you is that you have the education and experience to do a "credible" job.